Sunday, June 20, 2010

Birthday Happy

Has it really been a month since Caleb's birthday party? Sorry it took so long to post anything. I'm still waiting on a bunch of photos from a friend. For now, here are a few pictures to tide my mom over. (She has given me a few friendly reminders that I need to post something. :-)

The theme for this party was....kickball. We had the kids pick out songs to introduce themselves when they stepped up to the plate. Turns out this group had diverse musical tastes. The pump-up music ranged from "Party in the USA" to Bach's Gavotte in G minor. Caleb, of course, chose the Star Wars Main Title. Here's one of his friends at bat.


Sorry for the quality of this video. I was trying to work the sound system at the same time.

After two sweaty innings of kickball, we decided to call it a game and move on to the cupcakes. This part got tricky, since we had only one picnic bench for twenty kids.



Luckily, a few brave souls helped us out with the chaos. Here's my friend Libby (in the background) who acted out as a kickball-coach-slash-cupcake-aide.




Caleb had a blast. Here he is giving an impromptu speech, thanking the guests for coming and telling them to have a great day.



They loved him back. We all sang Happy Birthday to him after that.


After cupcake time, the kids went and played on the playground equipment. Caleb was especially thrilled that one particular girl came to his party. See picture below...


And Chase just wondered when his turn would come. As it turns out, he didn't have to wait that long.



His birthday was the day after Caleb's party!



This counts as a "train cake"--I don't care what anybody says.



It was harder to make than one might imagine--for Oliver and me, anyway. The nice thing is that the kids were thoroughly impressed with this thing. We'll just keep them away from Karisa's birthday parties for her kids as long as possible!




Here's how it all went down. Happy birthday to two wonderful May boys!

2 comments:

Mary Jane said...

I would love to have heard Caleb's impromptu speech to his birthday party attendees. He looks very composed and in charge!

U Pesci Fet d'a Testa said...

Elise, you are the QUEEN of birthday cakes! Josh will forever live in your shadow after the doughnut/baskin-robbins tower you pulled for me! Thanks for sharing all the great pics and stories. We miss you guys! Also, I especially appreciate the creativity you put into strategically placing objects and people between the camera and your stomach. I felt like I was watching one of those TV episodes where the main female character is pregnant in real life and they have to pull all sorts of stunts to hide her expanding belly. You never fail to impress!