It's not often that you have to take a trip to Florence. But since we've moved away from anywhere close to Johns Hopkins, I have to take classes through their 10-day blitz courses. It's the only way I can finish the M.A. in Writing that I started (which by the way, is nearly completed.) This year, JHU held their 10-day writing workshop in Florence, Italy; ergo....I had to give myself a 10-day trip to Italy. Without the kids. And I did nothing to deserve such luck or such fabulous in-laws, who were willing to watch the boys for nearly two weeks.
So without further ado, here's the famous Ponte Vecchio.
Well, it's us blocking the famous Ponte Vecchio. Tara, Evan, and co. drove down from Ljubljana and spent two days with me at the beginning of the trip--I was thrilled. We had a blast sampling vintage Italian calzones, getting lost, playing hide and seek in the Boboli Gardens, getting lost, and then trying (inadvertently) to cherrypick somebody's pre-arranged cab. Didn't work.
Here's a less obstructed view of the Ponte Vecchio. The arches to the right connect to the Ufizzi museum.
Tara, Evan, and everyone came along with me on a walking tour of the city, guided by my program leaders. Quin was holding my hand for most of the tour, but then he eventually left me for somebody with more power and knowledge of Florence--our almighty writing department chair, David Everett. This is the man who holds my degree in his fingertips. Alistair wanted to walk near him, too.
Five days into my class, we broke for the weekend. Oliver came and met me in Rome! When you go to a place like the Eternal City, you have to prioritize. It's impossible to do everything.
So we made sure we didn't miss Rome's FIFA broadcast of the Netherlands-Brazil game.
We had never seen so many Dutch fans in one place. Very fun. Sad that Brazil lost, but quite an experience to watch a soccer game like this. We liked it so much that we went back to the Villa Borghese the next day to watch the Germay-Argentina game.
But ultimately, you don't need an Armani suit when you've got a face like this.
If you're not satisfied with these pictures, stay tuned for Part 2 of Elise and Oliver's Adventure in Italy! I promise NOT to wait six months to post it. But for tonight, I'm signing off.
2 comments:
I love that Pieta sculpture too-- I remember studying it during Humanities 101. The only kind of weird thing is the size of Mary's lap. It's HUGE!
Envy /'en-vi/ n. pl envies 1: painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage.
That pretty much sums it up. (Thanks, Noah Webster.) Keep the pictures coming!
Post a Comment